Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Pledge

We have been doing a lot of little fix-ups around the house the past month - new tile, light fixtures, paint, etc and I have been incredibly busy shopping for said fixtures, coordinating trades people and painting. As much as I love decorating, I am a little burnt out and the wallet is smoking a bit too.
So I decided that in July I would institute a self-imposed ban on buying anything that wasn't necessary. My spending would be limited to the essentials like food/toiletries, gas and medication. Period. Nothing else. No amazon.com, no Half-Price Books, no craft stores, thrift shops, garage sales, shoe stores, etc. NOTHING.
It's only day one and I am starting to get heart palpitations. But the whole reason that I decided to do this was because of my stash. My yarn/fabric/jewelry making stash. I have enough to make several wardrobes and decided that if I eliminate the shopping for the stuff (which, I'll admit, is half the fun) that I would actually have time to make the stuff.
Of course I did do some pre-July stocking up (sewing patterns, jewelry parts and of course, the Victoria Secret jeans which were on sale and are the first to actually fit me AND they had a 36" inseam so I can wear them with heels). The goal is that by the end of July I will have made a significant contribution to my wardrobe - clothes and accessories.
Stay tuned.

No comments: