Friday, January 9, 2009

Wanted: Creative Buddy

I've always been sort of a self-help junkie, but my forties have been incredibly insightful as I have learned so much about myself. I recently read "The Truth About You" by Marcus Buckingham and he points out 3 truths.
1. As you grow, you become more and more of who you already are.
2. You grow most in your areas of strength (by the way a strength is NOT something you are good at, it is something that makes you feel strong, confident and energize you. You could be good at something but loathe it, in which case it is a weakness. A weakness is not something you are bad at, it is something that makes you feel weak or
sucks your soul dry.)
3. A good team player volunteers his strengths to the team most of the time and deliberately partners with people who have different strengths.

The most interesting to me are #1 and #2. I have wasted tons of my time focused on my weaknesses. I didn't realize I was doing it until recently. But now I know better.

All of this newfound self-knowledge has led me on a quest to live my most authentic life (sorry I sound like one of those philosophy spouting self-help gurus) but it is the best way to describe it. Since I have decided to do this, one of my goals is to redirect my career towards one of design, the etsy store is one step in that direction.

But one of the most important things I realized about myself is that I love taking classes. Not algebra or quantum physics, but classes in creativity and design, anything from cake decorating and knitting to writing and graphic design. Being around other creative people really energizes me and feeds my creativity and inspiration.

So I am on my search for a creative buddy. At least one person who has similar interests and aspirations as myself so that we can motivate, inspire, cheer each other forward and celebrate our successes with. Narrow-minded, judgmental, critical naysayers need not apply.

No comments: